Title: Tech Transfer Intern
Job Category: Intern
Job type: 12-month, part-time, paid internship
The Puerto Rico Science, Technology and Research Trust’s (“Trust”) Technology Transfer Office (“TTO”) seeks a TTO Intern to provide high quality business-related intelligence service across a broad spectrum of early-stage discoveries, intellectual property, and technologies that originate in partner universities. The fields include life sciences, biotechnology, engineering, physical sciences, agriculture and environmental sciences.
The position reports to the TTO Director and is responsible for providing technology management services in support of TTO Technology Managers which includes high-level strategic technology management capabilities and analytical strength in screening and assessing research-based disclosures of discoveries and inventions on their scientific merit, technical merit, and commercialization potential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in training provided by the TTO in order to utilize proprietary data analytics platforms, standard search tools, TTO’s marketing platform, and TTO’s management platform;
- Attend webinars and participate in workshops as required;
- Participate in the initial intake and screening of invention and research disclosures according to standard processes and protocols;
- Coordinate with university partners to access and utilize search tools focused on scientific and technical literature;
- Cooperate with Technology Managers to complete complex screening cases and contribute to reports that include patent mapping, technical/scientific reviews, marketing information, and other specific business-related information;
- Maintain a productive relationship with faculty and inventors to ensure positive feedback and engagement;
- Maintain a close working relationship with university partner staff to fulfill compliance, IP, and related information needs.
Candidates must be in their last year of a Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering. Graduate students in science, engineering, law, or business related fields are encouraged to apply provided their bachelor’s degree is in science or engineering.
Other requirements include: detail oriented with multi-tasking and strong prioritizing skills; excellent verbal and written communications skills in English; ability to work in a fast-paced environment under multiple deadlines; strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all levels of professionals within the organization; proven teamwork skills; ability to use independent judgment and make sound decisions; proficiency with Microsoft Office suite applications.
Please include contact information, indicate whether or not you speak Spanish and English fluently, and are available to start within two to four weeks of being notified.